Barcelona will reportedly cut off work relations with Ernesto Valverde in the next few hours. Valverde himself is still bound by a contract until June 30, 2020.
According to Radio Catalonia RAC1 reported by Sport, Valverde’s dismissal will occur on Tuesday (28/5) local time. Even if it doesn’t happen today, the 55-year-old coach has definitely been knocked out of the Blaugrana coach’s seat.
The news of Valverde’s dismissal came to light after the poor results Barcelona picked this season. Valverde’s squad can only secure one title from three available titles.
Lionel Messi and friends managed to become champions of the Spanish League. However, efforts to win a title in the Champions League and Copa del Rey led to failure.
Barcelona were dramatically eliminated by Liverpool in the Champions League semifinals. Bagging a 3-0 advantage in the first leg, Barcelona even surrendered 0-3 away to the headquarters of the Reds.
In the Copa del Rey event, Barcelona lifted the trophy foiled by Valencia in a match that took place at Benito Villamarin Stadium, Sevilla, on Saturday (25/5).
The former coach of Athletic Bilbao was said to have lost influence in the dressing room even though previously support could remain at the Camp Nou. Some players felt Valverde made a serious mistake when concocting tactics to serve Valencia.
Interestingly, rumors of Valverde’s dismissal contradicted the defense of the club’s president, Josep Bartomeu, who was reluctant to blame Valverde.
“This defeat is not the coach’s fault. We have many chances but the ball does not want to go into the goal,” Bartomeu said after Barcelona’s defeat to El Che.
Valverde’s replacement candidate as Barcelona’s new coach has also sprung up to face the new season. One of the coaches on the list of Valverde’s successors was the Belgian national team coach, Roberto Martinez.
Valverde has been on the Barcelona bench for two seasons and gave two Spanish League titles, one Copa del Rey title and one Spanish Super Cup title.